Earn two miles for every $1 you spend overall. Without any limitations imposed by airline cards, you can exchange your miles (at a cost of one penny each) for credit towards any travel-related item on your statement.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
This card is well worth the annual fee thanks to something like a big sign-up bonus, high rewards, and flexible redemption options.
Annual fee : – $95
Regular APR : – 20.24%-28.24% Variable APR
Required credit score : – 690-850 (Good – Excellent)
- Spend $4,000 on purchases within three months of account opening to receive a one-time bonus of 75,000 miles, which is equal to $750 in travel.
- Earn daily, unlimited 2X miles on all purchases.
- There is no cap on the number of miles you can earn, and they are valid for the duration of your account. Get a credit of up to $100 for TSA PreCheck® or Global Entry.
- Through our partner lounge network, you can visit 100+ Plaza Premium Lounges or Capital One Lounges twice for free each year.
- Earn 5X points when you book hotels and rental cars with Capital One Travel, where you can choose from thousands of different trip options and get the best deals from Capital One.
- You can use your miles to get reimbursed for any travel expenses or redeem them by using Capital One Travel to make a reservation.
- Transfer your points to one of more than 15 travel loyalty programmes of your choice.
Pros & Cons
- High rewards rate.
- Flexible redemption of awards.
- High annual fee.
- Rewards are not very flexible.
- Requires good/excellent credit.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Full Review
Not just because it is one of the most actively advertised credit cards, but also because it is one of the most widely used, is the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. You can use your points to pay for any travel bill without restrictions on when you travel, which airline you fly, or which hotel you stay at, unlike the airline-branded cards it was created to compete against. It also pays a high rewards rate on every purchase (not just on travel spending). It’s understandable why so many people love this card when you consider the substantial bonus offered to new cards.
You won’t find many travel credit cards that are better than this one if you want travel rewards that are simple to obtain, simple to comprehend, and almost simple to redeem.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Basics
Credit Card type : – Travel.
Annual fee : – $95.
Sign-up bonus : – Spend $4,000 on purchases within three months of account opening to receive a one-time bonus of 75,000 miles, which is equal to $750 in travel.
Rewards : – For every $1 spent on purchases, you can earn 2 miles. Additionally, hotels and vehicle rentals booked via Capital One Travel earn 5 miles for every $1 spent.
Redeem options : –
- At a cost of one cent per mile, use miles to make travel arrangements with Capital One.
- Purchase statement credits for use against travel expenses in exchange for miles at one penny each.
- Miles can be transferred to more than 15 airline and hotel partner programmes. The transfer partner and the method of redemption affect the per-mile value.
- Purchase gift cards with miles. The redemption value ranges from 1.1 to 1.25% of miles earned.
Interest rate : – The current APR ranges from 20.24 to 28.24 percent.
Foreign transaction fees : – None.
Other benefits : –
- Car rental insurance.
- Extended warranty for qualified products.
- When using the card to make a purchase, you can get a credit of up to $100 for the Global Entry or TSA Precheck application fee.
- When you use the card to pay for your travel reservations, you receive complimentary travel accident insurance. Rules apply.
(Note: Benefits may change over time of period.)
Benefits of the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
A high rewards rate
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card keeps things straightforward, earning 2 points for every dollar spent on most purchases other than those made directly with the airline, unlike most branded airline cards. When you book hotels and car rentals via Capital One Travel, you’ll receive 5 miles for every dollar spent in addition to an unlimited 2 miles for every dollar spent on any other purchases.
A Sign-up bonus
With its bonus offer for new cardholders, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card gets you a head start on your upcoming trip: Spend $4,000 on purchases within three months of account opening to receive a one-time bonus of 75,000 miles, which is equal to $750 in travel.
Two free trips to Capital One Lounge locations or a partner Plaza Premium Lounge are included with the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card each year. Cardholders then get access to a discounted entry charge of $45 per visit.
The lone Capital One Lounge is currently located at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, but in 2022, Capital One aims to establish lounges at Denver International Airport and Washington-Dulles.
Flexible redeem options
There are various methods to spend your rewards miles for travel through Capital One’s rewards programme:
- With this choice, you can plan your trip as you like and then use your earned miles to cover all or part of the cost with a statement credit. When redeemed, each mile is worth one penny, and there is no minimum redemption amount. Compared to some other cards, which have minimums as high as $100, this is a pleasant change. Any expenditure that Capital One classifies as “travel” is redeemable. The Capital One website lists additional travel-related expenses as well as lodging as part of this, such as “rail lines, vehicle rental companies, limousine services, bus lines, cruise lines, taxi cabs, travel agents, and time shares.”
- This internet travel agency provides accommodations, automobile rentals, and vacation packages. At a cost of one cent per mile, you can pay in advance with your mileage.
- Capital One allows you to transfer your miles to a variety of airline and hotel partners’ loyalty schemes.
Additional perks that regular travellers may appreciate are provided by the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card:
- Trip protection . If your card is lost or stolen, 24-hour travel help services, rental car insurance, and travel accident coverage.
- No foreign transaction fees for overseas purchases.
Drawbacks and alternatives
Lack of domestic transfer partners
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card’s expanding list of transfer partners appeals to travellers who prefer to get every last bit of value out of loyalty programmes. More than a dozen airline partners are now accepting Venture miles transfers, however they are all international airlines. Sending miles to a foreign carrier may seem a little intimidating to those who are only beginning to explore transfer alternatives.
Poor cash-back option
Your miles are worth half as much if you wish to use them for cash back or a statement credit for non-travel-related purchases as opposed to redeeming them for travel. If you don’t travel frequently and want to convert your points into cash, this may be a problem. A cash-back card like the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card, which offers 2% cash back on all transactions with no annual fee, can offer you more value.
The annual charge for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is $95. Even while this is common with travel rewards cards, it’s still bad news for people attempting to minimise their credit card expenses. Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit cards have no annual fees and offer limitless 1.5 points for every dollar spent on all transactions. After making at least $1,000 in transactions within the first 90 days of opening an account, new cardholders can earn 25,000 online bonus points, which can be exchanged for a $250 statement credit towards travel expenses.
Is the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card right for you?
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card should be on your radar if you take travelling seriously. It can compete with any other travel card thanks to one of the biggest sign-up bonuses and greatest ongoing rewards rates available. It’s an excellent choice in particular if you want travel benefits without having to undergo a challenging redemption process.
Are you still confused of whether you need this card or another type of travel card? Browse the selections on our top credit cards page.
How do Capital One Venture miles work?
Every dollar you spend on purchases when using the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns you two miles. You can use those miles (worth one cent each) to pay for any type of travel-related purchase, including flights on any airline, hotel stays, rental cars from any company, etc. There are no limitations or ban dates, unlike with loyalty club points from hotels or airlines. Any travel arrangements you make can be paid for using miles.
How much are Capital One Venture miles worth?
When used for travel, each Capital One Venture Rewards credit card mile is worth one penny. This implies that you receive an overall rewards rate of 2%.
Can I transfer Capital One Venture miles to airlines?
You may pay for trips on any airline with Capital One miles, but you can also transfer those miles to approximately a dozen airline loyalty programmes and combine them with frequent flyer benefits acquired in those programmes.
Is the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card a Visa or a Mastercard?
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a Visa card.
What credit score do I need for the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card?
To be eligible for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, you must have at least excellent credit. Generally speaking, a score of at least 690 is considered to be “good credit.” However, getting approved for a credit card doesn’t just depend on your credit score. Issuers consider your income, outstanding obligations, and other details.